Career Programs Information
Community Education classes are personal enrichment courses. These courses do not receive credit hours and are not eligible for Financial Aid.
When someone inquires about a community education class, his/her name is put on a list. When there are enough names on the list, (there must be 10-15 students per class) the people on the list will be notified and the class will be offered.
RIVEROAK Technical College would like to serve your business needs. Please contact us for classes catering to specific training for your employees.
Visit our online classroom. We have over 300 courses available to enroll in and complete from the comfort of home. Some of the courses included are accounting & finance, college readiness, computer applications, design & composition, health care and medical related, photography, foreign languages, law and legal, personal development, technology, and the list goes on. You will receive a certificate upon successful completion.
All about crocheting and learning how to crochet, starting with the basic crochet stitches.
This course is designed for students who want to learn about the computer and develop basic skills needed to create, save, and open files. To develop proficiency with keyboarding skills, use the mouse, print, use email, and access the internet.
This course will teach the beginning decorator the skill of turning a plain cake into a thing of beauty, a masterpiece that will be a hit at home, a party or a special event. You will learn about tips and tip sizes, borders, flowers and different techniques to decorate cakes.
IV Therapy is a 36 hour course offered to LPN's or PN program completers awaiting testing.
165 hour program. Students are given classroom and lab experiences that prepare them for national certification as a licensed phlebotomist. Classes will be held Monday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings from 5:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m. as well as Saturday clinical experiences. Participants are required to attend the clinical site orientation and pass the drug/fingerprint screening. This class is not eligible for Financial Aid. High school diploma or GED is required. Must be 18 years of age or older.
Microsoft Excel is a powerful spreadsheet program included in the Microsoft Office suite of applications. Spreadsheets present tables of values arranged in rows and columns that can be manipulated mathematically using both basic and complex arithmetic operations and functions. Excel allows users to organize data, complete calculations, graph data, and develop professional looking reports.
Excel basics and advanced classes available. These classes are designed to give you a good base knowledge if you are a beginner in the basics class and a broader understanding in the advanced class of all the functions of Excel.
Medical Spanish is offered for health care workers who need to communicate effectively with patients they are serving. Classes can be arranged for your group of employees. This is a six week class specifically designed for persons in the medical field. Participants will gain confidence in serving the needs of Spanish speaking patients as well as communicate with their families.
Floral Design/Wreath Making
Whether you want to arrange flowers at home or are interested in becoming a professional floral designer, this class will give you a great foundation on the technical tricks of flower arranging as well as composition, color, and design. Wreath making and holiday inspired arrangements and decorations of all types will be taught in this class.
Learn what you need to know to put together a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation. After completing this course, you will be able to put text and pictures on slides, add animation, navigate in the PowerPoint window, apply a design template, arrange slide content by using layouts, print handouts and notes, and present your slideshow presentation.
This course offers a variety of fun and creative ways to enhance a document. You will learn how to create, edit, and format documents. Create labels, tables and graphics. The benefit of the course is to familiarize the participant with various aspects of word processing and to create impressive documents, newsletters, and brochures.
The benefits of yoga provide both instant gratification and lasting transformation. In the fitness world, both are extremely important. Too much time with too few results can be incredibly discouraging, and monotonous routines week after week can lead to stagnation. Yoga can change your physical and mental capacity quickly, while preparing the mind and body for long-term health.
Gun Safety/Concealed Weapons
This class will cover handgun safety; types of pistols; explain about sight picture and using handgun sights; types of ammunition to use; styles of holsters; shooting fundamentals; Florida laws concerning use of force and cover Florida Concealed License information. The student will end the class by showing proficiency with their weapon on a firing range and will receive a certificate of completion for the class. A handout will be furnished to each student along with the Florida concealed weapon permit packet. There will also be an included time for a short lunch during the class so each student should bring food and drink (a refrigerator will be provided).
This class will be held on Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. thru 4:00 p.m. Located at Suwannee County Sheriff's Office Training Room for classroom then move to Live Oak Police Department firing Range for the shooting portion. Instruction provided by Lt. Wayne Musgrove, Jr. with the Suwannee County Sheriff's Office. Participants must be 18 years old or older.
Each student will be required to provide:
- At least 50 rounds of ammunition
- Eye protection (sunglasses will do)
- Transportation to firing range
- Lunch and drinks
By learning the basics of touch typing, you will find your work and personal life to become much more productive. By utilizing the skills you learn in this class, you have the opportunity to expand your typing skills to be able to type emails, reports and chat at the speed of your speech and see the results as you get more done during your day.
Learn to understand what is being said and communicate with speakers of Spanish. Be able to be a part of the conversation, to help those who do not understand English.
This course will be an introduction to Quick Books Financial Software for Windows. The main focus of the course will be to learn how to use the features of Quick Books Pro but will include some exercises for features in Quick Books Premier and higher.
Wood working can be an enjoyable hobby that allows you to express yourself creatively and work with your hands.
Adult Education Programs
- Diploma by Test (GED®): The State of Florida high school diploma (GED®) test is given monthly at RIVEROAK. Persons seeking assistance to prepare for the GED® exam may enroll in classes. The classes cover the five content areas of the GED® exam: math, language arts and writing, science, social studies and reading. Classes are available day and evening at several locations in Suwannee County. The cost is $30 per semester.
- Adult Basic Education Students preparing to take the GED®, preparing for employment, or for personal goals, may need Adult Basic Education classes. This program provides literacy instruction for students scoring below 9.0 grade level on the TABE test. Classes provide intensive instruction in the basic skills of reading, mathematics and language arts. Class fees are $30.00 per Semester. Evening classes are available at several locations in Suwannee County.
- Vocational Preparatory Instruction This course is designed to provide academic assistance so students can qualify for employment, to prepare for college or to enroll in an occupational program at RTC. Classes provide intensive instruction in reading, mathematics and language arts. A tuition fee of $30.00 per Semester is charged for students who score above 9.0 on the TABE test. Due to State of Florida requirements, program may be subject to change in the areas of length, admission requirements, tuition and fees. Classes are available day and evening. Evening classes are available at several locations in Suwannee County.
- How to Enroll Take the TABE test. There is NO charge for the test. Immediately after the test, meet with the counselor to review scores, discuss goals and prepare a schedule. For testing dates, contact Student Services at (386) 647-4210.